While the Avon Historical Society is best known to the public for it programs, events and maintaining historic buildings, there are many projects going on in the background that also pertain to the mission of the Society. The duration ranges from short to long term projects. Others are ongoing throughout the year. Below is a list of the most active ones.
Avon, Connecticut: an Historical Story, 2nd edition – Coming in Spring 2018
A group of volunteers have been working on the second edition of Avon, Connecticut: an Historical Story
, originally published in 1988 for the Avon Historical Society by Mary-Francis MacKie. This 323-page book is considered to be the definitive guide to Avon’s history. In 1988 over 500 copies were purchased and the Society has sold out the copies. The Board of Trustees decided to refresh the content while creating a second edition and publish it as a book-on-demand. A committee of five, under the leadership of Trustee Eric Throndson, has painstakingly read every page and created a new format. This volume is in the final stages of editing now. It is anticipated the second edition will be available by Spring 2018, at this website's gift shop.
Endowment Management for the Future
Over the past several years, the Avon Historical Society has been the fortunate benefactor of a sum of money from the estate of former Avon resident, William Yandow. In order to be prudent in using this generous donation, the Board of Trustees formed an investment committee to oversee the proper means of investment. They monitor the invested funds and make recommendations to the full Board of Trustees on a regular basis to ensure these funds act as an endowment for the future of the Society and its mission. If you wish to leave a bequest to the Avon Historical Society to allow it to continue to preserve Avon’s historical past, please contact the President.
Adaptive Reuse of Schoolhouse No. 3
Schoolhouse No. 3 is the Town of Avon’s oldest structure. Built in 1823 where the current Avon Free Public Library is located on Country Club Road, this building is in need of major repair and updating. When it was moved to the current location on Route 44 in 1985, a cellar was added as well as an enclosed shed for a visitor entrance. For many years it was called “The Living Museum” because it housed many artifacts from the time of Avon’s naming in 1830 as well as a display about the Farmington Canal which crossed over the land where it sits. It was open to the public on Sundays in the summer and on special occasions. Due to a lack of attendance in the summer and a strong need to refresh the exhibit, it has been closed until further notice and is used as the Society’s headquarters and archival storage of large artifacts. However, the Town of Avon and the Avon Historical Society feels that with the upcoming 200th anniversary of the schoolhouse being built, it is timely to focus on its adaptive reuse in order to reopen it as a museum for its anniversary in 2023. A four-year capital improvement plan of the building is underway.