Contact Avon Historical Society - ahs.mail.1830@sbcglobal.net; 860-678-7621

 


Home


Events / News

Upcoming Events

Civil War Events

Cow Chip Raffles

Newsletters


Sites to Visit

Pine Grove Schoolhouse

Derrin House

Hunter History Room

Schoolhouse No. 3

 

History of Avon

Meet Avon's Town Historain

Historical Avon

Barns of Avon

Local Historic Homes
Farmington Canal


Stories from Avon

 

Your Help

Horse Guard Barn

Friends of the Society

Corporate Members

AHS Gift Shop

Join Us!

Contact Us

 

Schoolhouse No.  3

(Formerly The Living Museum)

 

 

 

Originally named Schoolhouse No. 3 in West Avon, this school was built and opened in 1823 and in use as a one room schoolhouse until 1938. When threatened with demolition in 1981 to make room for the town's new library, The Avon Historical Society, along with concerned citizens and businesses helped to dismantle and restore the structure on its present site on East Main Street.

In 1830, Connecticut was still mainly agricultural. Artisans and craftsmen were fairly self-sufficient, but natural resources and capital was scarce. Completion of the Farmington Canal in 1828 and its operation from New Haven, Connecticut, to Northampton, Massachusetts, influenced the commercial development of Avon. The canal's north-south route intersected the overland east-west Albany Turnpike (now Route 44), and established Avon as a commercial crossroads.

Living Museum


Open by appointment only, Schoolhouse No. 3 houses drawings from the 1840's showing the architectural renderings of the Farmington Canal as well as a topographical diorama of the canal through Avon showing the exact specifications of how it was built in town.  In 2012 two plaques showing the route of the Canal across Route 44 (old Hartford-Albany Turnpike) were placed next to the Schoolhouse and across the street at the entrance of daCapo's Restaurant.  Today this building is the headquarters of the Society and storage for many of the artifacts in the collection.  It is also the staging area for the creation of changing exhibits for use outside the Marian Hunter History Room of the Avon Free Public Library.

__________________________

8 East Main Street

Please Call to Schedule an Appointment.

Avon Historical Society - 860-678-7621

__________________________

Avon Historical Society P.O. Box 448, Avon, CT. 06001  All Rights Reserved