Contact Avon Historical Society - ahs.mail.1830@sbcglobal.net; 860-678-7621

Home


Events / News

Upcoming Events

Civi War Events

Cow Chip Raffle 2011

Newsletters


Sites to Visit

Pine Grove Schoolhouse

Derrin House

Hunter History Room

School House #3


History of Avon

Meet Avon's Town Historian

Historical Avon

Barns of Avon

Local Historic Homes

Farmington Canal


Stories from Avon

 

Your Help

Horse Guard Barn

Friends of the Society

Corporate Members


AHS Gift Shop


Join Us!


Contact Us

 

The Farmington Canal

 

 

 

New! Maps available about the Farmington Canal.  
Click here for more details

Avon Historical Society Presents “The Farmington Canal through historic Avon”

Exhibits from 2013

 The Avon Historical Society has mounted a series of exhibits about the Farmington Canal, which ran through Avon from 1829-1847, at the History Room of the Avon Free Public Library.  These exhibits, inside and outside the History Room, will be on display from now through to May 31st and are open to the public. The hand dug Farmington Canal, with horse drawn canal boats, ran from New Haven, CT to Northampton, MA.  In Avon Center it ran north and south behind houses on the east side of Old Farms Road, crossing the Albany Turnpike (currently Route 44/East Main Street) where daCapo’s Restaurant stands, through the grounds of the Avon Post Office and from there ran approximately along Route 10 and at times where the Rails-to-Trail is now.  There was a large canal warehouse in Avon Center as well as other buildings that served this important transportation route.  Avon Center was busy with a church, post office, businesses, school, etc.  Many of these buildings are still standing today. The “Scenes of the Farmington Canal” exhibit in the glass display case at the History Room will feature drawings, photographs and illustrations to give an overview of the Canal.  The adjoining display area exhibit “Words Tell Story of the Canal” will explain how the Canal impacted Avon.  There will also be posters, maps, and a 3D visual display that will bring the Canal history to life once again inside the History Room.

Farmington Canal Plaque Dedication - June 9th, 2012

Avon Historical Society dedicated two plaques to designate the crossing of the Farmington Canal through Avon Center. The Farmington Canal (1828-1848) actually "flowed" underneath Albany Turpike (Route 44) in a north south direction from Da Capo's Restaurant Parking on the south side to the Living Museum Grounds on the north, and when fully operational, made its way all the way from New Haven, CT, to Northampton, MA. June 28th was the 184th anniversary of the launch of the first packet boat on the 84-mile canal.

 

 

© Avon Historical Society P.O. Box 448, Avon, CT. 06001 All Rights Reserved